The North Ostrobothnia Regional Fund is one of the Finnish Cultural Foundation’s 17 regional funds. Founded in 1954, when it formed part of a joint fund with the Kainuu and Lapland Regional Funds, the North Ostrobothnia Regional Fund became a separate entity in 1968.
The Fund is devoted to promoting and developing the arts, the sciences, and other fields of endeavour in North Ostrobothnia – by providing grants and awards and organising other activities in the region’s 38 municipalities, some of which are shared with the Central Ostrobothnia Regional Fund.
The North Ostrobothnia Regional Fund comprises a General Fund and donor funds based on private and public donations and bequests. Grants made from the latter, which bear the name of the donor if they wish, are directed towards areas specified by the donor when making his or her bequest. Areas not covered by this procedure are supported from the general funds.
The Fund’s activities and decision-making are impartial and not linked to political parties or other organisations or associations. Grants made by the Fund are decided by an 11-member Administrative Council representing a wide range of expertise and knowledge in the arts, the sciences, society, and business in the region.